A study has been released stating that Facebook has beat out Google as the top source of traffic for major portals like Yahoo, MSN and AOL. 15% of traffic to these sites came from Facebook and MySpace, of which 13% came from Facebook alone. This brings up a question; does your business really need a website or simply a Facebook Fan Page?
Although I believe you still need both, the future may steer many smaller to mid-sized businesses away from building expensive flashy websites. If this trend continues the writing may be on the wall, Facebook makes it very easy and cost effective (Free) to get your business online in a matter of minutes.
Facebook recently released some staggering statistics that should make you take notice and get your Facebook Business Fan Page up and running as soon as possible.
– More than 400 million active users
– 50% of our active users log on to Facebook in any given day
– More than 35 million users update their status each day
– More than 60 million status updates posted each day
– More than 3 billion photos uploaded to the site each month
– More than 5 billion pieces of content
(web links, news stories, blog posts, notes, photo albums, etc.) shared each week
– More than 3.5 million events created each month
– More than 3 million active Pages on Facebook
– More than 1.5 million local businesses have active Pages on Facebook
– More than 20 million people become fans of Pages each day
– Pages have created more than 5.3 billion fans
– Average user has 130 friends on the site
– Average user sends 8 friend requests per month
– Average user spends more than 55 minutes per day on Facebook
– Average user clicks the Like button on 9 pieces of content each month
– Average user writes 25 comments on Facebook content each month
– Average user becomes a fan of 4 Pages each month
– Average user is invited to 3 events per month
– Average user is a member of 13 groups
– More than 70 translations available on the site
– About 70% of Facebook users are outside the United States
– More than 500,000 active applications currently on Facebook Platform
– More than 250 applications have more than one million monthly active users
– More than 80,000 websites have implemented Facebook Connect since December 2008
– More than 60 million Facebook users engage with Facebook Connect on external websites every month
– There are more than 65 million active users currently accessing Facebook through their mobile devices
– People that use Facebook on their mobile devices are 50% more active on Facebook than non-mobile users
– There are more than 180 mobile operators in 60 countries working to deploy and promote Facebook mobile products
There is a bit more to simply throwing up a Facebook Business Fan Page, to get noticed you must promote the page using prominent links on your website and including the Facebook Fan Box on your website and blog. You should also include a link in your email signature, on your business cards, in your newsletter and pretty much on any offline advertising you do.
Another key factor in building fans is to offer up killer content, helpful tips, techniques and useful information this will lead to a huge following. Self promotional sales tactics will turn your fans off and your following will dissolve quickly.